Saturday, February 16, 2013

Gotta share this recipe ...

... Tonight I lifted this recipe for salmon loaf off the web because it used up some of the overages in my pantry - saltines (only used in recipes or when someone is sick and can't eat anything else), and one of the many cans of mushroom soup my daughter-in-law got a deal on. And I wouldn't have to cook up any rice beforehand.  Just mix stuff that I had on hand, bake, and eat.

 I wasn't expecting too much, and the pressure from my dinner companion (DH) was low.  DH will eat just about anything as long as he doesn't have to cook it (even the burned bacon-asparagus casserole back in our early married days).  Ever heard the joke about the moose-turd pie?  That's him saying "But it's good!"

This was even better!  It's so moist, it doesn't need sauce, but since I didn't know that, and I had a half-can of evaporated milk left over from the recipe, I made up a basic white sauce flavored with a little turmeric, curry, and Janes Crazy Mixed Up Salt.  I poured it over some steamed brussel sprouts and recommended using a little extra on the plate.  That turned out to be gilding the lily, but who doesn't like their lilies gilded?

 Thanks to Natbear at recipes.sparkpeople.com.  My lackadaisical cooking suggestions are in italics.

Salmon Loaf

 
Ingredients
    2 cans (14.75 oz) pink salmon, drained (my dog loved the liquid)
    1 sleeve Saltine Crackers, crushed (gently crush inside the sleeve and just let the crumbs fall into the bowl)
    2 eggs, lightly beaten (save a dirty dish by breaking them into an empty salmon can and stir with fork)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup (you can use the lowest priced generic value brand)
    1/2 cup evaporated milk (Oops - I misread this and used a 1/2 can - those 2 extra oz. added 5 minutes to the baking time; the other 1/2 can went into the abovementioned white sauce)
    1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, and dried parsley (never figured out a reason for having dried parsley around, so I used dill instead)
    Directions
     
    Heat oven to 350. Grease loaf pan. (Butter is my fav grease.)
    Place salmon in large bowl and flake with fork. (Save the fork and skip the flaking - it will disintegrate enough in the next step.)
    Mix in crushed crackers, beaten egg, soup, milk, and spices.  Spread into prepared loaf pan. Bake about 45 minutes. (Or 50 minutes, if you use 6 ounces of milk.)
    Check with a knife - if it comes out clean, it's done!

    Number of Servings: 8


    No photo yet - I really didn't think this recipe was going to inspire a blog post.  Check back in the next few days to see how well this reheats!

    Update -
     
    Here's a slice, 2 days later, with brussel sprouts smothered in curry cream sauce.  No need for sauce with this lovely moist recipe, though.  The texture is really more like that of a salmon mousse - in fact, I call it Salmon Mousse Loaf in my recipe file.  Definitely a keeper!




    No comments: